A childhood launch into sales

Jeannette Marshall
Jeannette Marshall, Sales pro; business dev't; sales leadership
What a great question! Reminiscence of my childhood that was blessed in many ways, yet showed me that I really wanted something bad enough I had to be resourceful.
My family had a planned vacation to Cyprus and I really wanted a snorkel set to allow me to explore the Mediterranean ocean beneath me. Imagine, I was a kid stationed in Germany and items like this were not in the base PX (store).
Sales mission:  My idea launched: operation paperback! My mom was an avid reader and gave me full access to selling any of her paperbacks. First I set up a command post on weekends at the community center with all the paperbacks for sale. When people asked how the money was going to be used, I explained that it was to buy a snorkel set for a family vacation. (NOTE: Objective)
In the evening, I would pack up the books and go door-to-door in the community, inviting people to purchase the books. (NOTE: Action)

Outcome: I got the snorkel set and a sales career was born.

Objective. Really. Sales is about having an objective or target that you must attain. How you go about achieving your objective is vast and varied, dependent upon innovative thinking and tenacity. When you tie in your objective with what you want to accomplish, it makes the motivation much easier.

Enthusiasm. If you are excited about the end result, what you are selling, the benefits you bring, it is much easier to be convincing to entice others to buy.


If you would like me to answer your specific sales or social media question, just go to Quora and ask away!  Alternatively, I will respond from comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Your post will be moderated to avoid SPAM