Nice Guys don’t always finish last!

A conversation with sales star, Jay Dannenmann










I remember the first time I met Jay Dannenmann at a Presidents’ Club Awards trip we were both on about 15 years ago.   After seeing his name always at the top of the Sales Scoreboard amongst over 5000 sales reps month after month, I know what my preconception of what he would have been like beforehand:  Arrogant, boastful, snazzy dresser, big talker.  I would imagine there are lots of folks who would agree with me ..... Boy, was I wrong!  Instead was a personable, friendly, humble, soft spoken, polished guy who was comfortably dressed and exuded competence.   He humbly suggested that his success in leading edge print sales was because he started out as a graphic designer and could/would contribute his ideas and would even create campaigns if that was what his customers needed help with. 
 


Fast forward, 15 years later, we reconnected on Linked In.  Not before long, we took up a a few telephone conversations that lasted hours …. Exchanging career stories with lots of chuckles, recalling a few of the stellar folk we had met over the few years we attended several rewards trips and even compared training experiences.  One of our mutual favorites was Jim Lee, our sales trainer, who the girls swooned over and the guys admired as he had been a Green Beret.  Conversations with Jay are easy because he is such a likeable guy, nothing fancy, just straight forward and honest.  It gives one insight on how comfortable and trustworthy his clients find him to be.


The stories Jay liked to tell 15 years ago and now were similar … what technology and solutions were effective in helping him help his clients.   What was unusual was he often referred to them always as “friends” of his and backtracked to clarify that they were also “clients”.    He was happy to tell about some of the great people whom he knows, that from the sounds of it, are just as down to earth as he is.   

I often think of Jay when I use examples of top performers: they're the ones doing the work and getting it done, not boasting about their achievements.  Therefore, I asked Jay if he would be willing to be interviewed for my Blog to help leaders and sales professionals, or even those considering sales as a career …. Lucky for us, he said yes!

Early riser or late bloomer?
Early riser.

Do you forecast sales?  If so, how?
Not really.

Do you do up a Business Plan?  When, how often?
My business plan is simple. I focus on client & prospects connections daily.

 Do you review your forecast or Business Plan?  How often?
Not really because I follow a plan that I've had for years.  My focus is on making personal connections daily and I try to be disciplined with time management.

When the pressure is on, you’re sales are below forecast, what do you do to get going?
I look at how I can work smarter and make better use of my time management.

What is the best sales advice you’ve ever received?  Where and by whom?
In San Diego my business associate Charles Martin said “Dannenmann, there are twenty-four hours in a day” and that I have the opportunity to use every one of them.

Do you have a mentor?
Yes, Charles Martin.

Do you mentor up and coming sales rookies?
Absolutely yes. First I believe by helping rookies within the same organization I represent it helps protect the brand I sell, because salespeople are the face and voice to any company. Also by mentoring or just collaborating with others, I sometimes refresh myself by discussing the basics I may take for granted, but I can also pick up some fresh ideas that a rookie may have that this old guy never thought of.

What would you say to someone considering sales as a profession?

Sales is all about challenging ones self, recognizing one’s weaknesses, building upon our strengths, and continually learning and setting new goals that evolve from that.
 
Also, sales is a lot like acting.  You change your character or script depending upon the story line (or your customer’s needs).
 

What would you say to people’s fear of cold calling in sales?

Thinking back to when I was younger and single you would see a pretty lady.  You’re opening line is what would make or break you.  Sales and cold calling is like that.  Your opening line is what will put people at ease and more willing to hear more about what you have to say.

What is the most consistent quality you bring to your customers?
Creativity.

What do you think your customers like most about you?
Reliability & honesty.

Do you have a favorite customer, or type of customer?
I am reluctant to name a particular favorite, but I love the Footwear & Apparel manufactures pool within Oregon. It has been an honor to work with what I believe to be some of the most creative and talented people in the world on many publicly visible campaigns.

Do you call high (C-Level) or wide (multiple end users)?
I always try to start at the top with high-level executives but as referrals and relationships evolve, my relationships go wide and deep across a large cross-section of people.  I wouldn’t exclude anyone who wants to talk to me.

What was your most favorite sales win?
Designing and implementing a Print On-Demand transit times map program for 450 Con-way Freight service center locations throughout America, Canada and Mexico that ran for nearly 11 years’ worth millions of dollars. Along with the financial success, I also made within those eleven years numerous life-long friendships.

What is the most challenging part of sales to you?
Rejection.

How do you source your new customers?  (i.e. prospect)
I try and expand within existing customers, warm call from referrals, daily morning research of local and national Biz Journals and LinkedIn.

What do you love most about sales?
Freedom, people interaction, competitiveness  

What do you hate most about sales?
Rejection

When you were a kid, did you say you wanted to be a sales professional when you grew up?  If not, what were you going to do?
Definitely no. I wanted to be a racecar driver.  In some ways, I am a racecar driver.  In sales, it is the sales pro who is out there, taking the risk, being the face to the public but he/she can only be as good as the team behind them. 

Do you have life goals associated with sales goals?
As I enter the final stages of my professional sales career, my wife who is also a business professional and I plan to travel around the United States in our motor home and enjoy this beautiful country for a period of time. After that I’d like to still sell but in a less stressful environment such as a golf course to maintain the interaction between people and myself which I love to do.

Are you a Hunter or Farmer?
Farmer: I’m in it for the long haul with relationship versus the quick kill.

What is the coolest thing you’ve ever done as it relates to sales?
I was brought in to be part of a NIKE Golf marketing team to develop and print the TIGER WOODS PGA sponsor endorsement worth 40 million dollars.


 
 What are you most proudest of?
1) Taking up golf with my wife.  I am proud of her because of her success in her career and the quality of person she is. 

2) My son who joined the business with me and in sales now.  I admire how successful he has become and how good he is at it.  I’m especially pleased that he decided to join my company and follow in my footsteps.

3) My progress in golf.  When I started in sales, I would  avoid golfing events, golfing with customers, or award trips because I didn’t feel strong enough.  Now, it offers me an enjoyable way to spend time with my clients in a relaxed atmosphere that extends relationship building in a social atmosphere where they are more apt to share insights because their guards are down.

Jay is part owner and chief sales professional for POD4PRINT and can be reached on Linked In.  POD4PRINT is a state-of-the-art facility with leading devices by top manufacturers that enable them to design, create, print, archive, index, fulfill, and/or distribute for leading marketers such as NIKE.   Reach out to Jay on Linked In and he’ll help you with showing what the leading edge marketers are doing these days.  Take it from me, you’ll like him and before long, he’ll be calling you “friend”.

 
 “Sales is all about challenging oneself, recognizing one’s weaknesses, building upon our strengths, and continually learning and setting new goals that evolve from that.”
~ Jay Dannenmann

*Note: 
“Nice guys finish last” is attributed to baseball manager, Leo Durocher, 1939, specific to the context of baseball.
 
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Your post will be moderated to avoid SPAM