WARNING: Old Geezers Are Taking Over Social Media

Age is an issue of mind over matter.  If you don't mind, it doesn't matter
~Mark Train


As I was going through my e-mail this morning, I came to the realization that I probably should encourage my 76 year-old mother to try Google+ since Facebook bombed miserably (she didn't seem to grasp that the grand kids photos and messages were directed at their friends and not her).


When my son introduced her to the web and e-mail about seven years ago, little did we know he'd created Mrs. Frankenstein.





One thing we failed to realize was what should have been obvious: seniors have more free time on their hands than all of us combined in one day!  I must get at least five e-mails a day, ranging from:
  • Catastrophic warnings to my health
  • The inevitable computer crashers
  • "if you don't forward this, you will have bad luck for the rest of your life"
  • Unite for this cause by signing this petition if you have a conscience
  • "old geezers" sex jokes

Honestly, I didn't even want to imagine my parents doing anything other than cooking my dinner or giving me my allowance when I was young, why would I want to know anything besides words of wisdom or new recipes now?

If I can get my Mom on track with Social Media, starting with Google+ because it's so user friendly, it could mean she'd still be satisfied that she's sharing under the "groove" with her kids and grandkids ... then I can read her posts in my own time and my own head space. 

I love my mom, bless her heart with all her good intentions.   Did I fail to mention English is not her native tongue?  That in itself presents a whole different matter under the umbrella of
“what not to say in an e-mail”. 

The fact is:  “Geezers” are taking over Social Media.  Don’t believe me?  Watch this:








Do your senior parent or grandparent a favor:  show them how it’s done; that way, you can help them navigate the web-sphere.  Like it or not, they’re taking over.   Don’t say I didn’t warn you!  At the very least you should help them to minimize the level of embarrassment they can cause themselves (of course, not you). 

Then again, perhaps I should be content that she’s still in e-mail mode.  At least that way there is still damage control.  Or, most likely, I should call her more often to see how she's doing ... the "old fashioned" way.


Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
~Chili Davis

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, i might just have to show my mom how to use G+. She never got the hang of Facebook either. I told her it's best not to follow her grandchildren because she may not appreciate the conversations they have with their friends. Great blog! I love your winter picture. ~ Carol Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for relating. Let me know if you do get your mom on G+. I had my mom in tears on the phone today trying to show her how to do internet banking ... looks like that's where senior draw the line and will stick to telebanking. My 18 y/o daughter supplies me with all the art and photos, I think they're lovely too! I hope you come back!
    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Your post will be moderated to avoid SPAM